Bakuchiol vs. Retinoids: Which one is best for your skin? July 20, 2023 09:53
Bakuchiol is the new kid on the block in the world of skincare, but this plant-based ingredient has actually been around for centuries. Derived from the seeds and leaves of the babchi plant, which is native to India, bakuchiol has a long history of use in traditional Ayurvedic medicine.
If you're wondering what in the world Ayurveda is, don't worry, you're not alone. Ayurveda is a system of medicine that originated in India thousands of years ago, and it focuses on achieving balance and harmony in the body through a combination of diet, lifestyle, and herbal remedies.
Anyway, back to bakuchiol. The babchi plant has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries to treat a variety of ailments, including skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema. The seeds and leaves of the plant contain a compound called bakuchiol, which is believed to have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
Now, let's fast-forward to the present day. Skincare companies have caught wind of bakuchiol's potential benefits, and you can now find it in a variety of products, including serums, moisturizers, and masks. But what exactly are the benefits of bakuchiol, and why should you consider adding it to your skincare routine? Let's break it down:
Benefits of Bakuchiol:
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles: Bakuchiol has been shown to increase collagen production in the skin, which can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles over time. And unlike some other anti-aging ingredients (cough, retinoids, cough), bakuchiol is generally considered to be gentler on the skin and less likely to cause irritation or sensitivity.
- Improves skin texture and tone: Bakuchiol has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals and environmental stressors. Some studies have suggested that bakuchiol may be particularly effective at reducing the appearance of hyperpigmentation and improving skin texture and tone.
- Helps to treat acne-prone skin: Bakuchiol has been shown to have antimicrobial properties, which means it may be able to help kill off the bacteria that cause acne. This makes it a promising ingredient for those with acne-prone skin.
- Is gentle on sensitive skin: As we've already mentioned, bakuchiol is generally considered to be gentler on the skin than some other anti-aging ingredients, such as retinoids. This makes it a great option for those with sensitive skin who want to reap the benefits of an anti-aging ingredient without the irritation and sensitivity that can sometimes come with retinoids.
- Is vegan and cruelty-free: If you're someone who values ethical and sustainable skincare options, you'll be pleased to know that bakuchiol is a vegan and cruelty-free ingredient. It's derived from plants, not animals, and it hasn't been tested on animals.
So there you have it, folks - bakuchiol is a pretty impressive ingredient. But how exactly does it work, and why is it so effective at reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles? Well, it turns out that bakuchiol works in a similar way to retinoids, but without some of the potential downsides.
Retinoids are a type of vitamin A that are often used in skincare products to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. They work by increasing cell turnover in the skin, which helps to reveal fresh, new skin cells and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. However, retinoids can also be quite harsh on the skin, and they can cause redness, peeling, and sensitivity, especially if you're just starting out with them. Also, long term use of retinols can possibly cause thinning of the skin, the jury is still out on this but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Bakuchiol, on the other hand, is believed to work by increasing collagen production in the skin. Collagen is a protein that gives our skin its structure and elasticity, but as we age, our bodies produce less collagen, which can lead to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. By increasing collagen production, bakuchiol can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and improve the overall texture and tone of the skin. Another great way to naturally increase collagen production is by getting enough vitamin C. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6204628/
But here's the kicker - bakuchiol is generally considered to be gentler on the skin than retinoids. This means that you can get the anti-aging benefits of an ingredient like retinol without the potential downsides, such as irritation and sensitivity.
Of course, as with any skincare ingredient, it's important to patch-test bakuchiol on a small area of skin before applying it all over your face. But overall, bakuchiol is considered to be a safe and effective ingredient for most skin types.
So, if you're looking for a plant-based, gentle alternative to retinoids, bakuchiol might just be the ingredient for you. Not only does it have anti-aging benefits, but it can also help to improve the overall texture and tone of the skin, making it a great all-around skincare ingredient.
In conclusion, bakuchiol may be a new ingredient in the skincare world, but its use dates back centuries in Ayurvedic medicine. Derived from the babchi plant, bakuchiol has a range of potential benefits, from reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles to improving skin texture and tone. And best of all, it's generally considered to be gentler on the skin than some other anti-aging ingredients, such as retinoids. So if you're looking for a plant-based, effective ingredient to add to your skincare routine, bakuchiol is definitely worth considering.
Rice Water: The Secret Sauce for Glowing Skin! July 20, 2023 09:49
Hey there, skincare junkies! Today, we're about to spill the tea (or should I say rice water?) on an age-old beauty secret: rice water. Yes, you heard it right! This humble kitchen staple has some surprising benefits for your skin. So, put on your chef's hat and get ready to uncover the magic of rice water. Trust me, your skin will be cooking up some serious glow!
Rice Water - From Pot to Potion
Who knew that the liquid left behind after cooking rice could be a game-changer for your skin? Well, rice water is here to prove that even kitchen mishaps can have a silver lining. It's like turning leftovers into a gourmet meal for your skin! So, next time you cook rice, don't let that precious elixir go down the drain. Instead, save it and let the magic of rice water work wonders on your complexion.
Is your skin as thirsty as a desert wanderer? Well, rice water is about to quench that thirst! It's like a tall glass of water for your skin, providing intense hydration and moisture. Think of it as a refreshing splash on a hot summer day, leaving your skin plump, dewy, and oh-so-radiant. Say goodbye to dryness and hello to a complexion that's hydrated to perfection!
If your skin is looking as lackluster as a Monday morning, rice water is here to bring back the glow! Its natural brightening properties are like a ray of sunshine, illuminating your skin and giving it a healthy, youthful radiance. It's like a magical highlighter that works from within, banishing dullness and bringing out your natural beauty. Get ready to shine like a diamond!
Has your skin been throwing a tantrum lately, with redness and irritation taking center stage? Well, rice water is the ultimate peacemaker! It has soothing and calming properties that gently quiet down your skin's protests. It's like a soft lullaby, coaxing your skin back into a state of serenity. Say goodbye to redness and hello to a complexion that's as calm as a zen garden.
We all have those pesky pores that like to steal the show on our faces. But fear not, because rice water is here to tighten the ranks! Its astringent properties help to minimize the appearance of pores, leaving your skin looking smooth and refined. It's like a little army, marching in to keep your pores in check. Say goodbye to visible pores and hello to a complexion that's as flawless as can be!
Worried about the signs of aging creeping up on your skin? Well, rice water is the ultimate secret weapon in the fight against time! It's packed with antioxidants that help to neutralize free radicals, those pesky little troublemakers that accelerate aging. It's like a superhero, protecting your skin and keeping those wrinkles and fine lines at bay. Embrace the rice water revolution and say hello to a complexion that defies age!
There you have it, beauty enthusiasts! Rice water, the secret sauce for glowing skin, is ready to revolutionize your skincare routine. It hydrates, brightens, soothes, tightens, and helps fight signs of aging. So, don't let that rice water go to waste anymore! Let its magic work wonders on your complexion and prepare for compliments that will make you blush.
Rice Water Toner Recipe:
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice (preferably organic)
- 1 cup water
- Start by rinsing the uncooked rice under running water to remove any impurities.
- Place the rinsed rice in a bowl and add the water. Let it sit for about 15-30 minutes to allow the rice to release its beneficial properties into the water.
- Gently swirl the rice in the water with your fingers for a few minutes. This will help to further extract the nutrients.
- Strain the rice water into a clean container, discarding the rice grains.
- Wait for it to cool to room temperature!!
- Your rice water toner is now ready to use!
How to use:
- Cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser and pat dry.
- Take a cotton pad or a clean washcloth and soak it in the rice water toner.
- Gently apply the toner all over your face, avoiding the eye area.
- Allow the toner to air dry on your skin, or you can lightly pat it into your skin using your fingertips.
- Follow up with your favorite moisturizer or serum.
- You can store the rice water toner in the refrigerator for up to one week. Just make sure to give it a good shake before each use.
- If you have sensitive skin, you can dilute the rice water with a little more water before applying it to your face.
- Feel free to customize your rice water toner by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil for added benefits and a pleasant aroma.
Remember, everyone's skin is unique, so it's always a good idea to patch test the toner on a small area of your skin before using it all over your face. Enjoy the natural goodness of rice water and let your skin soak up its amazing benefits!
Evening Primrose Oil: Your Skin's Natural Beauty Tonic! July 20, 2023 09:45
Hey there, my beauties! Today, we're diving into the wonderful world of evening primrose oil and its incredible benefits for your skin. This natural beauty tonic has been gaining popularity in the skincare realm, and for good reason. So, grab a cup of tea and get ready to discover the wonders of evening primrose oil. Your skin will thank you for applying this botanical treasure!
Is your skin feeling as dry as the Sahara desert? Have no fear, because evening primrose oil is here to quench its thirst! This magical elixir is like a tall glass of water for your skin, providing deep hydration and nourishment. It's like a refreshing splash, leaving your complexion plump and radiant. Say goodbye to dry patches and hello to a complexion that's as smooth as silk!
Fight the Signs of Aging
We all want to maintain our youthful glow, right? Well, evening primrose oil is here to turn back the clock! With its rich content of essential fatty acids, it helps to improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It's like a time machine in a bottle, rejuvenating your skin and leaving it looking younger and fresher. Embrace the fountain of youth and say hello to a complexion that defies age!
Goodbye Skin Woes
Sometimes, our skin can be a little temperamental, with blemishes, redness, and inflammation taking center stage. But fear not, because evening primrose oil is here to save the day! Its anti-inflammatory properties calm down the skin, like a soothing balm on a sunburn. It's like a superhero, fighting off acne and reducing redness, leaving your skin clear and calm. Say goodbye to skin woes and hello to a complexion that's happy and healthy!
Smooth and Supple Skin
Who doesn't want skin that's as smooth as a baby's bottom? Well, evening primrose oil is the key to unlocking that dream! It contains gamma-linolenic acid, which helps to improve skin texture and tone. It's like a magic potion, softening your skin and leaving it feeling supple and velvety. Say goodbye to rough patches and hello to a complexion that's as smooth as can be!
The Ultimate Skin Shield
In a world full of environmental stressors, our skin needs a shield of protection. And evening primrose oil is here to be that guardian angel! It's packed with antioxidants that help to defend your skin against free radicals and environmental damage. It's like a force field, keeping your skin healthy and radiant. Embrace the power of antioxidants and say hello to a complexion that's glowing with vitality!
Now you know!
There you have it, beauty enthusiasts! Evening primrose oil, your skin's natural beauty elixir, is here to revolutionize your skincare routine. It hydrates, fights the signs of aging, calms skin woes, smooths your complexion, and provides antioxidant protection. So, embrace the botanical treasure and let your skin reap the benefits of evening primrose oil. Get ready to say goodbye to dryness, wrinkles, and skin troubles, and hello to a complexion that's nourished, youthful, and absolutely radiant. Your skin will thank you for this natural beauty boost!
MY TOP PICK FOR EVENING PRIMROSE OIL AS A SOLO OIL
Heavenly Botanicals Best seller and My Favorite Blemish Buster featuring Evening primrose oil
Vitamin C: The Superstar of Skincare! July 20, 2023 09:39
Hey, beauty enthusiasts! Today, we're going to shed some light on a skincare ingredient that's like a ray of sunshine for your skin - vitamin C! This powerful little nutrient has been stealing the spotlight in the beauty world, and for good reason. So grab your sunglasses and get ready to discover the incredible benefits of vitamin C for your skin. Trust me, you'll be glowing in no time!
Radiant Skin, Coming Right Up!
Picture this: Your skin is feeling dull and lackluster, like a wilted flower in desperate need of a pick-me-up. Well, fear not! Vitamin C is here to save the day. With its brightening properties, it's like a shot of espresso for your skin, giving it a vibrant and radiant boost. Say goodbye to the blahs and hello to a complexion that shines brighter than a disco ball!
We all want to age like fine wine, but sometimes our skin needs a little extra help. That's where vitamin C swoops in like a superhero! Its powerful antioxidants work tirelessly to combat those pesky free radicals, the villains responsible for premature aging. It's like a time machine in a bottle, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and leaving your skin looking plump and youthful. Embrace the magic and say hello to a more youthful and vibrant you!
Bye-Bye, Sun Damage
We love soaking up the sun, but it can leave its mark on our skin. Enter vitamin C, the ultimate sun damage warrior! It works wonders in fading those pesky dark spots and hyperpigmentation caused by excessive sun exposure. It's like a magic eraser, gently lightening those spots and giving your skin an even-toned appearance. Wave goodbye to sun damage and embrace a more uniform and flawless complexion.
Collagen Booster Extraordinaire
Collagen, the holy grail of youthful skin, tends to diminish as we age. But fear not, because vitamin C is here to save the day yet again! It plays a crucial role in collagen synthesis, keeping your skin plump and firm. It's like a personal trainer for your skin cells, giving them the nutrients they need to stay strong and resilient. Say hello to bouncy, baby-soft skin that defies gravity!
Skin's Shield Against Pollution
In this modern age, our skin faces a constant battle against environmental pollutants. But worry not, because vitamin C acts as a shield, protecting your skin from the harmful effects of pollution. It's like a force field that neutralizes those nasty free radicals and prevents them from wreaking havoc on your skin. Step out into the world with confidence, knowing that your skin is protected and ready to take on anything!
NOW YOU KNOW!
There you have it, folks! Vitamin C, the superstar of skincare, is here to transform your skin from drab to fab. It brightens, fights signs of aging, fades sun damage, boosts collagen, and protects against pollution. It's like a one-stop shop for all your skincare needs! So grab those vitamin C-infused products and let the magic unfold. Get ready to say hello to a radiant, youthful, and resilient complexion. Your skin will thank you for this superstar treatment!
Here's a simple recipe for a homemade Vitamin C serum:
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin C powder (L-ascorbic acid, I like this one https://amzn.to/3NTkIAT
- 1 tablespoon distilled water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin, I like this one https://amzn.to/43cr9Ds
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E oil, I like this one https://amzn.to/3rgq8gf
- 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil (optional for fragrance) If you're going for anti-aging effects then reach for either yarrow, frankincense, or Rose. This is one of my favorite brands https://amzn.to/44cqK5h
- In a small glass bowl, combine the Vitamin C powder and distilled water. Stir well until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Add the vegetable glycerin and Vitamin E oil to the mixture. Mix thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- If desired, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for a pleasant scent. Stir well to incorporate the essential oil.
- Transfer the mixture into a dark glass dropper bottle. Dark glass helps protect the serum from light and extends its shelf life.
- Your homemade Vitamin C serum is ready to use!
How to use:
- Cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser and pat dry.
- Apply a few drops of the serum onto your fingertips.
- Gently massage the serum into your face and neck, avoiding the eye area.
- Allow the serum to absorb into your skin for a few minutes.
- Follow up with your regular moisturizer or sunscreen.
- It's important to store the serum in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight. Vitamin C can degrade when exposed to light and air.
- You can adjust the concentration of the serum by adding more or less Vitamin C powder. Start with a lower concentration and gradually increase it if your skin tolerates it well.
- If you have sensitive skin, you may want to do a patch test before applying the serum to your entire face.
- It's best to use the serum within 1-2 weeks to ensure maximum potency. After that, the Vitamin C may start to lose its effectiveness.
Remember, homemade Vitamin C serums may not have the same stability and potency as commercial formulations. Vitamin C oxidizes very quickly so this serum will only last a couple days, so make as much as you can use in that time. Enjoy the benefits of your homemade Vitamin C serum and let your skin glow!
If you're not into making your own serum, we offer a Niacinamide serum with Vitamin C that helps fight the signs of aging
Apple Cider Vinegar Toner: A gentle daily Chemical peel! April 2, 2015 10:56
Most people view vinegar as something only used for cooking and maybe a few for cleaning, but I'm going to tell you why Raw unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar is a perfect match for your skin!
First, let me ask you a few questions:
Do you have red, blotchy, rash prone skin?
Does your skin itch or feel irritated on a daily basis?
Do you break out easily and frequently?
A couple of years ago I could've answered yes to all of these questions and if that's you, then listen up!
Your acid mantle has probably been compromised.
What is your acid mantle?
The acid mantle is your skin's protection barrier. It protects you from sun and environmental damage (chemicals, pollution, etc.). The more alkaline your skin becomes the more acne, blemishes, allergies, rashes etc. you will have. This is why balancing the acid mantle is super important and why you shouldn't use face washes or anything on your face that is not pH balanced! For example most soaps have an alkaline pH which breaks down the acid mantle making your skin more vulnerable to damage.
So go now and look at your face wash, does it say pH balanced? If not, throw it out, it's wreaking havoc on your face!
Why apple cider vinegar (ACV)? Short answer: it's like a gentle daily CHEMICAL PEEL!
ACV contains acetic acid, lactic acid, citric acid and malic acid as well as vitamins, minerals and amino acids, all essential building blocks for healthy skin. You know those really expensive chemical peels you need to go to an esthetician to get? Well using ACV on your face is like getting that chemical peel but it's much more gentle, there are no chemicals, and you won't peel! You will see a glowing difference in your skin from using this on a daily basis!
ACV also lightens dark spots and acne scars!
Now that you have this information find yourself a gentle, pH balanced face wash and an apple cider vinegar toner. You can make it yourself, if you're a DIY-er, it's quite easy!
1 Tbsp ACV ( I recommend Bragg's Unpasteurized Organic ACV)
3-4 TBSP Water
Mix the ACV and water and apply it to your face with a cotton ball or paper towel, or whatever you prefer to use, just make sure it's clean!
NOTE: You will not get the same results with a pasteurized ACV because many of the healing components have been compromised/altered in the pasteurization process.
If you'd rather just buy an ACV toner I make and sell them here
All of my Organic Raw Unpasteurized ACV toners are infused with herbs organically sourced, wild harvested or grown on my farm (gardening is my other passion!).
Other benefits of ACV, when take internally (note my toners are for external use only!):
Helps control weight
Helps control the yeast balance in your body
Helps maintain healthy skin
Promotes digestion, especially in those with low stomach acid
Helps detox your body (if you're prone to yeast infections try drinking it daily, 1 tbsp in 8 oz of water a couple times a day).
Other ways to use ACV:
Prevent or treat Yeast infections- if you're prone to yeast infections try drinking it daily, 1 tbsp in 8 oz of water a couple times a day
Also try putting in a bath for yeast infections (1 cup per bath)
Bake with it! Yes if you're a gluten free baker and you often have dense baked goods results then try this awesome fix, substitute your baking powder or rising agent for 1 TBSP ACV and 1 tsp Baking soda. You may need to play around with the measurements depending on how big a batch you're making but I usually use this proportion for a cake recipe that uses 2 cups of flour. I will be posting some recipes in the future so check back!)
It can also be used as a hair rinse for silky soft hair. It will cleanse your hair of build up from hair products and close the hair shaft, reducing frizz and increasing shine!
1-2 TBSP ACV
1/2- 1 cup of water
What other Natural Ingredients can be used for an at home skin peel?
Several fruits contain natural enzymes and acids that can help to exfoliate the skin and provide similar benefits to a chemical peel. Here are a few examples:
- Pineapple: Pineapple contains an enzyme called bromelain, which can help to break down and dissolve dead skin cells, revealing brighter, smoother skin.
- Papaya: Papaya contains papain, an enzyme that can help to exfoliate the skin and improve its texture. It also contains vitamin C, which can help to brighten the skin.
- Lemon: Lemon contains citric acid, which is a natural exfoliant. It can help to remove dead skin cells and lighten dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Strawberry: Strawberries contain salicylic acid, which is a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) that can help to exfoliate the skin and unclog pores. They also contain vitamin C, which can help to brighten the skin.
- Kiwi: Kiwi contains vitamin C and alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) that can help to exfoliate the skin and improve its texture.
To use these fruits on your skin, you can mash them up and apply the pulp directly to your skin as a mask or mix with yogurt or honey to dilute. However, it’s important to patch test first and avoid using these ingredients if you have sensitive skin or allergies to any of them.
FDA Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease.